Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Tribute - For our fallen heroes

There is a strong case for erecting a National War Memorial at India Gate

Nafisa Ali

Social activist


A recent report on television showed that the government has shot down a proposal for setting up a National War Memorial at India Gate. If you look at the martyrs’ names etched on the existing memorial, they are all from the pre-Independence era. Especially aft er the Kargil war the Defence Ministry had suggested that there be an allocated place at India Gate where we could salute our martyrs and fallen soldiers. It would have been a place where we could have run our fi ngers over their etched names. I feel very sad that August 15 is round the corner and we have categorically denied our martyrs that honour.

Just consider the sacrifi ces that they have made; the hardships they undergo so that we remain safe whether in war or calamity – manmade or natural. I still remember that aft er Kargil, I as an activist had written from my NGO to the martyrs’ families telling them how sad and sorry we all were.

Some wrote to us about their problems and we tried to resolve them. And on the eve of August 15, I would say that I am deeply disappointed that the names of our martyrs have been denied a place in the vicinity of India Gate.

It smacks of a lack of vision… I know India Gate has been built by the British, but this is independent India and we should think about these issues such as equal rank, equal pension. So many issues have come to light t h a t need to be addressed.

Th is would be my plea and prayer to the Prime Minister of India to intervene. I understand there is no spectacular place, but next to India Gate you have a canopy where a special place can be created. Why should we be loyal to the British Raj and not to our fallen heroes?

In fact, there is space available… What we lack are visionaries, vision and a commitment to create a simple memorial of plain granite where the names of martyrs could be etched. It would not interfere with the landscape or the horizon. It would not incur much cost; in fact


not at all – if the government gave me permission, I’ll bring in 20 leading industrialists and corporate houses to contribute towards a memorial for our martyrs.

Th e family members would feel hurt at this grave neglect, particularly when they look at the names of pre-independence heroes etched, but nothing to commemorate the sacrifi ces of their dear ones. Something like you have in New York at Ground Zero… a simple granite stone with the year of war or insurgency, regiment and name. I mean what’s the big deal? It costs nothing and it makes the nation feel proud.

I have been personally pursuing this since the Kargil war. All my mail, letters, correspondence and meetings… it’s all there, but just 4-5 days back I saw it on TV that the Urban Aff airs Development Ministry has said there is no place for such a National War Memorial. I completely disagree with them. Th ere is place and they just need the minister to come to the area and see for himself how it can be done. And on August 15 I would appeal to the media to support me in my mission.

Th e army is functioning fi ne; it’s apolitical and works well… it’s just that we need to see if someone has been promised something like a petrol pump or some reward or allowance, it shouldn’t be delayed and we should make the process simple and quick.

Th e process should be free of fi les and formalities because when the country is facing jeopardy, they don’t ask what would happen to our families; they just go and fi ght. I am proud to be an army man’s wife. According to me, the army is do- ing the needful with respect to war widows; it’s only when the government comes in that the delay happens.

My message on this occasion is that I am glad and proud that I married an army man. Because I came from the civilian world, I knew nothing about the principles and the wonderful system and culture that exists within the defence fraternity.

I have never bowed down to or been cowed down by anyone; I have been an activist because I follow the principles of human dignity.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2008
An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

No comments: